Another BerlinXX Minicomic: Inspired by a conversation I heard in the U-Bahn…
On 28th of February I was hired (as one of three drawing artists) for a Live Drawing Session at a media event of the german political party FDP.
We were hired to “storyboard” the event. Here are my favourite drawings:
And here some pencil test drawings of my colleagues…
In August I got to know Stewart Haines, an australian web developper who is the creator of a publishing platform for apps called “Picklets”:
I met him at the Berlin Illustrators regulars’ table, where he introduced his “Picklet Builder” web application that is made to enable independent authors to create and publish digital picture books to readers on iPhone and iPad.
Although Picklets offer only very limited animation options (simple layer motions, no sound) and primary are based on the user browsing through stacks of panels, I wanted to give it a try and see if – by dealing with these limitations – I possibly could develop some interesting content.
Here are some screenshots of my first approach with some educational “Learning Muscles” content. I designed the muscles in singular moveable layers.
The Motion is driven by the reader who moves a visible (or invisible) slider at the bottom of the iPhone’s (or iPad’s) screen:
As I was not quite satisfied with my muscles Picklet test, next I wanted to give telling a simple story a try.
Here’s a filmed version showing the “Chicken” Picklet’s animation:
Last but not least I edited and prepared my first “Berlin XX” Comic for a more ambitious kind of Picklet story.
My plan was to let follow two more episodes and thus produce a real sales value.
Here’s another filmed documentation of the final Comic Picklet in the testing environment:
But after having tested all these Picklets, I found both the workflow of the Picklet Builder and the results I could produce much too limited – compared to the Flash features I’m used to.
And as there is an interesting new progression towards new Flash-Apps possibilities going on, I stopped any further Picklet activities…
Here’s a little update of Fatma’s (my thursday’s drawing pupil) progress:
It’s about two months now that I am working with Fatma on improving her drawing skills. Most of the time we spent on drawing people (especially faces). The main focus of my lessons is on proportion and the need of graphic perception.
Some day when I was looking through her home work I noticed something very interesting:
there was a persisting “quirk” that turned up in each of her face drawings: all right sides of them had a strong rightwards up distortion.
As she couldn’t make out the mistake herself I made a photo of her drawing and re-distorted the right half downwards like this:
As this quirk wasn’t the result of a wrong posture during drawing but seemed to be some however natured brain thing, I said: okay, let’s stop with drawing faces right here and do a little line exercise instead.
So I asked her to draw a straight horizontal line – and the same effect appeared: it went straight righwards up.
Next I did a straight line with ruler myself and she had to draw a set of ten, twelve lines close-by and parallel to it.
The rightwards-up effect remained the same: the whole block of horizontal lines became smaller on the right side of the paper.
We worked a lot on this – with a lot of boring line drawing sessions. But it was worth it, because it really got better, nearly faded totally.
We ended the year with a more satisfactory result by finishing a drawing based on a photography transferred on paper…